11/27/09


Time, I guess, to wrap things up, although any and all additional thoughts are utterly welcome. Fifteen years ago I faced the dilemma I've posed to all of you: how to encourage the young person for whose presence on earth I was at least partly responsible to make the most of the situation. My older daughter Mary was always a bright child, with obvious potential, but then, so was I at one time. I made good choices throughout grade school, and was rewarded with four years at the institution shown here, Trinity College in Hartford, CT. With college came more choices, and these were not always as well made. At my current age, most of life's choices have been made, and one is to some extent limited to living out the consequences. I began to talk to Mary about choices at about the time in life we are now discussing, the very beginning of secondary school. I tried to explain to her that at this point she had an almost infinite number of possibilities ahead of her; she could be almost anything she chose. I say the same to Margaret now: she watches Animal Planet and dreams of being a veterinarian... this could come true. She sketches imaginary animals and dreams of being an artist, or a musician, or of writing and illustrating books... all of these are very real possibilities. She only has to make the choices that keep those possibilities alive. My belief is that one decision that opens doors down the road is that youth is a time for maximizing potential. Deciding that school is important and worthy of effort expands possibilities. On the other hand, as I said to Mary then and say to Margaret now, some choices narrow the network of possibilities. Is it wrong to decide that having fun with your peers is important? Perhaps not morally, but if that takes precedence, doors begin to close. As some of you have pointed out, balance is key. Part of the trick is realizing just how many doors may be out there. When I went to college I didn't know anyone in my family that had been there. Even when I finished, I wasn't quite sure what to do with the experience, and undoubtedly made less of it than I could have. I sometimes think that one important role I can play as a teacher is to share my background with my students; let them know how I got here, make it clear to them that they can reach a vast number of places just by making the right decisions in their young lives. Life is vast, and no one can cheat you out of even the smallest corner of it unless you are willing. Putting some effort into school work, finishing high school, attending college: these are all door openers, life-expanders. Don't let the fun and distraction of the moment steal your birthright. You live in wealthy and freedom-loving country. Whether you gather your share of the harvest is all up to you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very proud of you, Ted. Yesterday was Thanksgiving Day and I started thinking about what an amazing family we have. We have had more than our share of difficulties and tragedies but, right now, I am very proud of each one of you (in-laws and out-laws). We have each done well in becoming the persons God created us to be. I love each one of you and I look forward to seeing you all continue to grow in your lives and keep being the sweet people you are. I can look back and see the godly influences in our lives and look ahead and see the influence each one of you are on the world around you coming to fruition.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.