Hello All:
This blog has been created for the purpose of fulfilling a graduate course called Technology in Education. For my final project I have to put together a lesson using Web 2.0 technology. That includes tools such as blogs, podcasts, wikis, photo sharing, video showcasing, etc. I’ve decided to start a blog, the most dialogic of these tools, and invite my family to participate.
I currently teach 6th grade science to six classes of predominantly Hispanic students. When I started to think of how I could teach them something via the web, I found myself thinking about the general lack of engagement they show in education. The female students especially have difficulty thinking in terms of who they want to be. Instead, in the tradition of marianismo, these girls seem to already be preoccupied with fulfilling family expectations of becoming self-sacrificing mothers.
I want to demonstrate to my students, especially my female students, the importance and value of education. My resource for doing this is my family, which is almost entirely made up of intelligent and educated women (which is why I think my female students may especially benefit from what you have to say.) I hope that you will all participate, and find it enjoyable to network and communicate on this issue. I see it as an opportunity for a discussion that transcends geography and time.Thank you for your help.
Best,
Ted Noon
Im just excited to be counted in with the intelligent and educated women of the family! I feel like I was the one short on intellect so I went with the talent I was given. That being music. Not a lot of academics thrill me so I can be the one giving ideas on the other end of the spectrum.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in high school, the only acceptable careers open to women were teaching and nursing and the primary goal of girls was to get married (not unlike your current female students). I married right out of high school and did not go to college until my own children were semi-grown. My reasons for continuing my education were: to become more independent; to enjoy the experience of learning new things; and to become acquainted with interesting people. Young girls might learn to value education by experiencing various enrichment programs in art, music, museum visits, good literature. You can find yourself through this type of activity and learn to value your own thoughts and ideas. Watch that movie with Julia Roberts where she was teaching art at Wellsley College. Sue sells herself short....music is an intellectual pursuit.
ReplyDelete